Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I made up when I had some of the ingredients lying around which needed using up. You could probably use anything you have such as cooked chicken , broccoli.....etc.
- 13 ounces pasta, any shape, I used large macaroni
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 7 ounces cheese, grated
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 5 -6 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- Cook the pasta in boiling water until al-dente and drain.
- Meanwhile saute the leeks, bacon and mushrooms in a pan until soft and cooked. Put to one side. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the garlic clove taking care not to let it.
- start to burn. Add the flour bit by bit to create a roux (paste).
- Bit by bit add the milk stirring all the time (you might want to change to a whisk) until you have a smooth white sauce. Add 3/4 of the grated cheese and the mustard and stir until melted.
- Stir the leek mixture and the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a baking dish, top with the remaining cheese and sliced tomatoes and spinkle with herbs.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 mintues until hot and bubbling.