Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a Good Housekeeping recipe and is posted by request. I've never made it so let me know.
Make and share this Cheesy Kohlrabi recipe from Food.com.
- 8 medium kohlrabi, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup shredded American cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley (for garnish)
- In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, in 1 inch of boiling water heat kohlrabi and salt to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a 3 quart saucepan over low heat, into hot butter, stir flour until smooth.
- Gradually add undiluted chicken broth and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add kohlrabi and cook until heated through.
- Sprinkle with the mixture with allspice, then garnish with the chopped parsley.
An Adventurous Alaskan gardener. Always have used this veggie raw. Needed a new use. Great recipe. I did not have the cheese listed and used Mexican American. Tasty. <br/>Find that the tops are just as edible and will try those next. <br/>P.S. My dog is a lover also. Transform your table and add a new veggie.
This was the first time I have cooked kohlrabi and with the cheese sauce with them, this was really good. I did not put any allspice on it either. I will do this again. PS the kohlrabi's do not taste like they smell while cooking. Not a pleasant odor.
I love kohlrabi's raw, cooked and now with this cheese sauce. This was really good! I didn't care for the allspice on it, I was glad I only put it on a small portion. Next time instead of slicing the kohlrabi's I'll dice them so I can eat them with a spoon so that I get a lot of that yummy cheese sauce with it. So glad I tried this recipe. Made for All You Can Cook Buffet.