Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I haven't tried this yet, mostly because I don't have any coffee cans! This requires 2 one-pound cans that rise and bake right inside. I think the round slices would create a lot of interest too. Let me know how it turns out! Note: times do not include rising and cooling time.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour with yeast.
- Heat milk, water, oil, sugar and salt until warm (120 to 130 degrees), stirring to blend; add to flour mixture along with eggs and cheese.
- Beat with an electric mixer or by hand until batter is smooth.
- Using a spoon, mix in the remaining flour (batter will be stiff).
- Divide batter and spoon into two well-greased one-pound coffee cans.
- Cover with plastic lids.
- Let rise in warm place until batter is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the plastic lids--about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove lids and bake at 375* for 30-45 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes in cans before removing. If necessary, run a knife around the inside of the cans to remove.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Makes 2 bread loaves.