Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
A healthful weeknight meal with some of my favorite components! From EatingWell.com. You can also use cooked turkey in place of the chicken. Hello, Thanksgiving leftovers!
- 226.79 g whole wheat penne
- 473.18 ml cauliflower, in 1/2 in florets
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 118.29 ml onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 709.77 ml low-fat milk
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 236.59 ml swiss cheese, shredded (or Gruyere)
- 709.77 ml cooked chicken, shredded
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 29.58 ml fresh chives, chopped (or scallion greens)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and cook until the pasta and florets are tender, about 4 minutes more. Drain, rinse, and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Whisk milk, flour, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl and add to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until smooth. Stir chicken (or turkey) and mustard into the cheese sauce; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir the sauce into the drained pasta and cauliflower. Serve sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).