Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was a recipe off of Food Networks top 100 for 2007. Can't wait to try it.
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli, trimmed and cut up
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the casserole
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Butter a 9 by 13-inch casserole.
- Steam broccoli until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat and sauté the celery, mushrooms, and onion until softened, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Combine the broccoli and the cooked vegetables in a bowl.
- Heat the soup and Velveeta cheese in a saucepan over low heat until the cheese melts. Pour it over the broccoli mixture.
- Add the garlic salt and pepper and combine.
- Put it in the buttered casserole dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the grated cheddar the last 5 minutes of baking.
Nice and cheesy! Cant't get Velveeta here, but I used Dolcelatte, a creamy blue cheese, for a different tone. Goes well with all other flavors in the dish.
Yum! I found this recipe in The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook. It's a keeper--fast and delicious. As far as what to do with the water chestnuts, you combine them with the broccoli, saute mixture of celery/mushroom/onion, and water chestnuts. Thank you for posting!
4 Stars, until the directions are corrected to say what to do with the water chestnuts. Used Margie99's idea, a 9x11 glass casserole was the perfect size. I doubled the mushrooms, and they were welcome. Used diced water chestnuts from my pantry, which added another shape to the texture. Velveeta supplied its guaranteed melting and mild cheesy comfort to the sauce. This recipe could be halved if Recipe #126969 #126969 was used for the cream of mushroom soup. This met my calorie justification criteria; these calories were worth it! We plan to reheat the leftovers atop leftover skinless rotisserie chicken breasts, and serve with rice. We ate this solo, but that didn't stop us from licking every last drop. Thanks for posting. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.