Recipe by Lainey39
These are baked bread sticks laced with cheese and just a hint of cayenne. I got this recipe from a newspaper, which stated the recipe is from 5 Spoke Creamery. Plan ahead, the dough has to refrigerate for at least 2 hours, which is included in the preparation time.
Top Review by I'mPat
These were just so good served with recipe #264067. I had a oops moment in that I forgot about the 2 hour chill time and the dough only got 15 minutes but when eaten with the soup they had a light crumbly texture and oh you could really taste the cheese (I used a mix blend of cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan) and between 3 of us we managed to polish off 14 of the 16 sticks with the DS taking the other 2 for a morning snack at work, or at least he is tomorrow, as Lalaloula commented they can be addictive especially if you have a preference of savoury. Thank you Lainey6605 for a great recipe and Lalaloula for her recommendation in I Recommend Tag Game.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons sour cream or 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
Directions See How It's Made
- In food processor, combine the flour, salt, cayenne and baking powder.
- Pulse several times to mix.
- Add the butter and cheese, then pulse for about 30 seconds, or until the ingredients are well mixed (it should resemble slightly moist flour).
- Add the sour cream and pulse on and off for about 1 minute, or until the ingredients come together as a moist, doughy clump.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, form into a ball, then cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or coat it with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured counter, roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/8-inch thick.
- Trim the edges to create a neat rectangle.
- Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips 6 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide.
- Combine the scraps and repeat with remaining dough to make about 18-24 sticks.
- Gently twist each strip to create a spiral, then arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.