Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A new way to do hamburger helper but much cheaper. This recipe originally had a typo in the amount of the salt, which has been corrected.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook ground beef in skillet.
- When done, drain off grease and add seasonings, tomato puree, water and macaroni.
- Cook 15-20 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Add cheeses and let cook another 10 minutes until mixture is thick.
A nice simple casserole. I didn't put in the salt as I had salted tomato puree and it came out just fine. I also rinsed the meat using turkey so you could lower the fat in that manner. My husband gave it the grunt of approval.
I made this for a freind just out of the hospital for her freezer, it came out great, we added some grated cheese on top when it was re-heated.
Sorry but I had to give this 3 stars because there way too much salt in this recipe. I think if you made the recipe with 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of salt it can be a good recipe. I will try it again with half the salt. Sorry kwlabear, but when I make it with less salt I will post another review