Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This vegetable casserole uses the microwave to speed up the cooking of the zucchini and carrots; then it's finished in the oven for an old-fashioned, homey look and taste.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 -3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups whole wheat bread, cubes
- 1 cup finely shredded fat-free cheddar cheese (4 ozs.)
- 1 cup finely shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (4 ozs.)
- In a 2 1/2-quart oven-safe, microwave-safe casserole, stir together the onions, celery, oil and garlic.
- Cover and microwave on high power for a total of 6 minutes; stop and stir after 3 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, carrots, thyme, basil, salt (if using), mustard and hot-pepper sauce.
- Cover and microwave for a total of 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender; stop and stir after 3 minutes.
- Stir in the bread cubes, fat-free cheese and 3/4 cup of the reduced-fat cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheese.
- Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted.