Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I stole this one from our Episcopal Church's Cookbook. It's delicious inside a minature loaf of French bread (with the bread pulled from the middle to dip with)
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups light cream or 2 cups milk
- Saute vegetables in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Add broth.
- Cook until thickened.
- Stir in cream/milk and cheese over low heat until cheese melts.
- DO NOT BOIL.
I had carrots and celery leftover from a veggie tray, so this was a great way to use them up. This is perfect example of how simple, everyday ingredients can make a really yummy soup. The only thing I added was a bit of mustard powder. This is a good soup for kids and adults. Thanx!