Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Mother in law's recipe, that has been handed down in my husbands family. Basic comfort food, but really good. Until I got the recipe I always asked her to make them for family get togethers. This recipe is for a crowd, but can easily be reduced to family size.
- 5 lbs russet potatoes or 5 lbs other firm potatoes
- 32 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (7 ounce) jar pimentos, chopped
- water, to thin sauce, as needed
- Boil potatoes until just tender but still firm (don't cook until completely soft, or you'll have mush later). It's important to use a firm potatoe like russet for the same reason, don't use regular round white, they will be mushy also.
- Let potatoes sit in cold water until completely cooled, or even better put in fridge overnight. Peel potates when cold, then cube. Place in lightly greased baking dish or aluminum disposable pan. Sprinkle pimento and green onion even over potatoes.
- In a sauce pan, place velveeta cheese and half of the evaporated milk. As cheese melts gradually add sharp cheddar, and remaining milk in increments, stirring constantly. Do not boil. If sauce is very thick and hard to work with, add water until it's a good consistency, not too thin. Continue until cheese is completely melted. Pour sauce over potatoes and mix gently until combined.
- Bake at 350 until bubbly, usually about 30 minutes. May brown on top,if it begins to brown too soon cover with foil for part of the cooking, or stir. Can be cooked the day before and refrigerated overnight and reheated. The longer the flavors meld the better it is.
- You can add bacon bits for a variation, but I like them without. Excellent comfort food!
- Cooking time includes boiling potatoes.