Recipe by GinnyP
Delicious crackers, just like the commercial "CheezIts" or "Cheese Nips". These are gluten-free from Bette Hagman's, "The Gluten-Free Gourmet".
Top Review by flcharters
I really enjoyed eating and baking them.But one day it was diffrent it was chirstmas eve and we didn't have any potato starch,but my daughter did NOT give up so we used gluten free waffle and piklet mix because my daughters gluten free.
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grate the cheese (you should have approximately 2 cups).
- Set aside.
- Place butter in bowl of mixer and beat until creamy.
- Add egg, salt, and pepper.
- Beat until blended.
- Beat in cheese one-third at a time until completely combined.
- Stir in flours and xanthan gum until thoroughly blended.
- Work the dough into a ball.
- If dough doesn't stick together, add cold water, 1 T at a time, until a ball can be formed.
- Don't worry about overworking.
- Divide dough in half.
- Place one half on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and roll out as thin as possible.
- Repeat with the other half.
- Sprinkle with salt, if desired, and cut with a pastry wheel into 1-inch squares.
- Bake for 4 to 6 minutes, until deep golden.