Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grits
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1 ½ cups)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Heat oven till 350°F.
- grease a 2-quarts casserole.
- In large saucepan, combine water and salt.
- Bring in a boil.
- Gradually stir in grits.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1 cup of the cheese and the butter; stir until melted.
- Add milk, eggs and pepper, mixed well.
- Pour mixture into grease casserole.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese Bake at 350°F for 1 hour until golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Variation: garlic cheese grits casserole: prepare casserole as directed above, except stir in ½ tsp garlic powder with pepper.
- Sausage grits casserole: prepare casserole as directed above, except stir in 1 lb.
- Drained, cooked sausage with milk.
- Jalapeno cheese grits casserole: stir in 6 oz.
- Mexican pastuerized prepared cheese product with jalapeno peppers, cubed, with cheddar cheese.
I only had 1% milk, so that's what I used. I added some diced ham and dried chives, but otherwise followed directions to the letter. Even after baking an extra 2o minutes, this was still a watery mess without much flavor. I won't be making it again. Sorry.