Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan, and gradually add the grits, stirring constantly.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Remove grits from heat, and stir in the shredded cheese and remaining ingredients.
I like the grits overall. I added a little less garlic powder though. I did 1 teaspoon instead of 1 1/2 teaspoons. I think that next time, I will do just a 1/2 teaspoon though. I would add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt too. Oh, and I also used velveeta cheese instead of cheddar. Turned out well.
Very quick and easy. My only change would be to add less garlic powder next time and more salt b/c it seemed to have a strong garlic taste. Also - used full fat cheddar cheese and it was great!
My recipe, too, garnished with a pinch of cayenne or Tabasco. Excellent grits! This recipe makes 4 servings, not twelve.