Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 125 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- 1⁄4 cup water, approx
- 4 large apples, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecan nuts
- 60 g butter
- Cheese Pastry: sift flours and sugar into bowl, rub in butter, add cheese, then enough water to mix to a firm dough.
- Press pastry into a ball, cover, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry large enough to line 23cm flan tin; trim edges.
- Cover pastry with a piece of greaseproof paper. Cover paper with dried peas, beans or rice, etc.
- Bake in moderate hot oven 7 min, carefully remove paper and beans, bake further 7 min, cool.
- Filling: chop apples coarsely, add to pan with lemon juice, cover, cook about 10 min or until just tender.
- Stir in flour, sugar and cinnamon; cool to room temperature.
- Place filling into pastry case.
- Topping: combine sugar, flour and pecans in a bowl, rub in butter until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- sprinkle this on the filling in the pastry case.
- Bake in moderate hot oven 15 min, reduce heat to moderate, bake further 15 min; cool to room temperature.
- decorate with whipped cream, extra chopped pecans and icing sugar, if desired.