1/1 Photo of Cheese Bread (A B M)
3 hrs 5 mins
A nice basic recipe for a 1 lb cheese bread from the bread machine. The mustard and pepper give it a nice lingering mouth feel. I think it stands on its own much more than most bread machine recipes for cheese bread; I would love it if you tried this even if you've already tried other recipes of this kind. [This is adapted from a recipe in The Bread Bible (Rose Levy Berenbaum), which is an excellent book of bread recipes and theory.]
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup water, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I like Grey Poupon)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/3 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1FETA VARIATION: Instead of the cheddar cheese and cayenne, use 1/3 cup cubed feta and 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Add the dough ingredients to your bread machine in the order suggested by your manufacturer. (Add the cayenne on top of the flour.).
- 3Add the cheese to the extras dispenser of your machine. (If your machine doesn't have this feature, you may have to pay attention and add it after the initial rest.).
- 4Set the machine for 1 lb/ white/ medium crust/ add extras.
- 5I think this would be excellent with other cheese/pepper combinations. These are the only two I've tried. If you find another good varation - please post a review of it!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Bread (A B M)
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.2
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 274.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 4.4 g