Recipe by Leslulu
This delicious comfort food can be the main dish of lunch or dinner with a simple salad. It's the ultimate cheesey, creamy, potato bake.
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced very thin
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly (a mandolin allows you to complete this step within minutes and you can purchase a good one for about $20.) Put them in a bowl of water.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat and cook the onion until slightly soft.
- Butter a medium size baking dish and spread a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom. Spoon some onions on top.
- Add salt and pepper and sprinkle with cheese. Continue layering potatoes, onions, and cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for the top), finishing with potatoes.
- Beat the egg into the cream. Pour it over the potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Test them with a knife to ensure they are cooked all the way through.