Recipe by evelyn/athens
A very tasty, savoury tart. A green salad alongside and dinner is served.
Top Review by chia
the filling was very tasty but for some reason it was a bit too watery. i had to bake it an additional 15 minutes and it still wasn't quite set. we did enjoy the flavor of the cheeses and i used a sweet vidalia onion, which lent an nice crunch. this made a lovely lunch with a tossed green salad
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits
- 2 tablespoons cold Crisco, cut into bits
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust: Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine flour and salt and cut in butter and Crisco until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 3 tblsps ice water and combine until it forms a ball.
- Flatten into a 6 inch disk and chill it, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 1 hour.
- Roll out to 1/8 inch thick on lightly-floured surface and fit into a 9 inch tart pan.
- Trim edge and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in middle of oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- For filling: Cook onion in butter over moderately-low heat until softened.
- Mash blue cheese with half and half and stir in eggs, Cheddar, onion and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into shell and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake 25 minutes longer.