Recipe by ellie_
I wanted to use up some egg whites, chives and left over cheese I had in the refrigerator so adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit (November 2006)with my changes. The original recipe used whole eggs and cheddar cheese.
Top Review by I'mPat
What a wonderfully delicious breakfast this made, unfortunately our recent hot weather has adverse effects on my herb garden so used the green part of a young spring onion instead of chives otherwise made as directed. Thank you ellie_ made for Rookies tag game.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup egg white
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 cup grated cheese (I used Monterey Jack but a combination of cheeses or your favorite cheese will work well)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, chives, salt and pepper (I used a lot of pepper) in a bowl.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add egg mixture to pan, cooking for a few minutes until almost set, lifting sides so egg mixture can run under.
- Grate (or sprinkle) cheese over top of eggs (I grated it right over the eggs) and cook a few more minutes until cheese melts.
- Fold 1/3 of the omelet over the center and then the other side over the center.
- Turn omelet onto plate and cut in half or thirds.