Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Best comforting, fool-proof chowder! It freezes well, packs up great for lunches, can be doctored to add veg, take away fat or spice it up. It originated about 25 years ago in Cosmo & this is my version that I've made time & time again. Enjoy:) *Note- If it's not cheesy enough, I add a little shaved MacLaren's sharp cheddar. You can also add tobasco to heat it up.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 russet potato, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 5 mushrooms, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 liter half-and-half cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 200 g old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cups cooked broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 lb cooked ham, diced
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large, heavy bottomed pot over med-high heat.
- Cook potato, carrot, onion and mushrooms until tender.
- Add garlic & cook another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over & stir to coat.
- Slowly add the half & half and chicken broth.
- Add all remaining ingredients & turn down heat. Let simmer for 10 minutes.