Recipe by anovamom
Comfort food with a kick! I cut out this "Kraft Kitchens" recipe from a magazine and have made it many times with delicious results. I am posting it so I can finally throw away that little clipping, and so you too can enjoy!
- 2 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 1 (14 ounce) packagedeluxe macaroni and cheese mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup crushed cracker (I use plain bread crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- peas (optional)
- drained tuna (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk water, cheese sauce from pouch and pepper in 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Stir in dry pasta and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese; cover with lid.
- Bake at 375* for 30 minutes. Uncover; stir in sour cream.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, crackers, and melted butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over casserole. Bake an additional 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: I usually serve this as a main dish by adding a handful or two of slightly defrosted frozen peas and a drained can of tuna (along with the sour cream in step 3).