Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
A delightful Cheese scone with a bit of a zing to really round out the flavour. Everyone enjoys them and they are a favourite either for a light lunch or just a snack! they are a winner at Picnics too. So easy to bake and they freeze well
- 12 ounces self raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ounces margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 -3 teaspoons sambal oelek or 2 -3 teaspoons thick chili sauce
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, Mature, Grated
- 1 cup milk, to mix
- 1 pinch salt
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Rub in the margarine. Add the mustard and cheese.
- Stir through well. Add the Sambal or chilli (not sweet) sauce to the milk and mix in well. Add enough of the milk to give a fairly soft dough.
- Roll out to about 1 1/4 inches thick. Cut and brush slightly with milk and add a sprinkling of extra grated cheese on top--not too much.
- Bake in a hot oven (210-220°C) for approximately 7 to 10 minutes.