Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My kids love this fast fix for chicken nuggets. There is an unusual ingredient, but it works perfectly. I wondered about the addition of pancake syrup also, but it makes such a nice sweet and sour sauce. This meal is very much a kid pleaser!
- 1 box frozen breaded chicken nuggets (about 20 per package)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (cut into wedges)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pancake syrup (yes, use pancake syrup, no substitutions)
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, reserve juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook chicken nuggets for only half of required baking time and set aside.
- Saute onion and green pepper in vegetable oil until crips tender.
- Add pineapple chunks, reserving juice.
- Heat on low.
- Add cornstarch to reserved pineapple juice and stir until dissolved.
- Add chicken broth, pancake syrup, vinegar, garlic powder, and soy sauce to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil and add cornstarch mixture.
- Continue to boil until mixture begins to thicken@ 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat.
- Add chicken and stir to coat them in sauce.
- Cook until heated through@ 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Sorry, my family didn't like it. They said the chicken was soggy, and it tasted like pancake syrup.
This was great although i used chicken breasts and stir fried them. I also used the sauce part to make sesame chicken i just added sesame seeds and sesame oil! Very good.