Recipe by CraftScout
Okay, so you're not anywhere near the Texas Hillcountry, but you are craving kolaches. Or you ARE in the Texas Hillcountry but you don't really feel like making a real yeast dough and you're craving kolaches. What do you do? Cheat.
- 8 -12 biscuits, raw (either from a can or a recipe)
- 2 slices American cheese
- 16 cocktail franks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Either mix up a batch of your favorite biscuit dough and cut into 16 pieces or open a can of biscuits (the flaky kind is my favorite) and separate each biscuit into half (this should give you 16 biscuit halves).
- Take the 2 slices of cheese, cut each into 4 strips, and then cut those in half the other direction, giving you 16 short strips.
- Place 1 strip of cheese and 1 sausage onto each biscuit piece and wrap dough around them. Place seam side down on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Brush the tops with melted butter and serve warm.
- You can of course, substitute any of your favorite kolache fillings.