2 hrs 30 mins
hannahs dad's Note:
I found this recipe on an international recipe site I use. It's absolutely incredible and worth the effort. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!!! I also like to add some chopped,roasted jalapenos!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs whole chickens
- 10 cups water
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 5 fresh cilantro stems
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons white onions, diced
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil or 2 -3 tablespoons butter tbs butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ounces pancetta or 4 ounces diced bacon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons hot black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon achiote powder
- 2 bell peppers, diced (1 red and 1 green)
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 2 cooked carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 eggs, scrambled
- 7 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or 3 tablespoons parsley
- 2 bunches scallions or 2 bunches green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb roasted jalapeno, chopped
- 1Bring the water, carrots, onions, celery and herbs to boil in a large pot, add the chicken and cook over medium heat for about 1 hour or until the chicken is very tender and fully cooked.
- 2Remove the chicken from the broth and save the broth.
- 3To cook the rice, heat the butter, add the onions and the rice, stir well. Then add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile debone the chicken and reserve the chicken meat for later.
- 5Heat the first 2-3 tbs butter or oil over medium heat in a large pan to prepare a refrito or base for the chaulafan.
- 6Add the chopped onions, diced pancetta, crushed garlic, 1 tbs Worcester sauce, 1 tbs soy sauce, cumin, cilantro, hot pepper powder, and achiote powder; cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- 7Add the cooked rice, chicken meat, and diced bell peppers. Stir well and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Stir in the remaining soy sauce, remaining Worcester sauce, scrambled eggs, peas, carrots, raisins, mix well.
- 9Add the chopped herbs and green onions.
- 10Serve with avocado slices, aji or hot sauce, and ketchup (or spicy ketchup).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chaulafan De Pollo or Ecuadorean Chicken Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (1246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1228.6
- Calories from Fat 524
- Total Fat 58.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 405.0 mg
- Sodium 1975.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 63.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: