Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe on an international recipe site I use. It's absolutely incredible and worth the effort. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!!! I also like to add some chopped,roasted jalapenos!
- 5 lbs whole chickens
- 10 cups water
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 5 fresh cilantro stems
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons white onions, diced
- 3 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil or 2 -3 tablespoons butter tbs butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ounces pancetta or 4 ounces diced bacon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons hot black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon achiote powder
- 2 bell peppers, diced (1 red and 1 green)
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 2 cooked carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 6 eggs, scrambled
- 7 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or 3 tablespoons parsley
- 2 bunches scallions or 2 bunches green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb roasted jalapeno, chopped
- Bring the water, carrots, onions, celery and herbs to boil in a large pot, add the chicken and cook over medium heat for about 1 hour or until the chicken is very tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and save the broth.
- To cook the rice, heat the butter, add the onions and the rice, stir well. Then add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile debone the chicken and reserve the chicken meat for later.
- Heat the first 2-3 tbs butter or oil over medium heat in a large pan to prepare a refrito or base for the chaulafan.
- Add the chopped onions, diced pancetta, crushed garlic, 1 tbs Worcester sauce, 1 tbs soy sauce, cumin, cilantro, hot pepper powder, and achiote powder; cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the cooked rice, chicken meat, and diced bell peppers. Stir well and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining soy sauce, remaining Worcester sauce, scrambled eggs, peas, carrots, raisins, mix well.
- Add the chopped herbs and green onions.
- Serve with avocado slices, aji or hot sauce, and ketchup (or spicy ketchup).