Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From the Western Cookbook chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947. The nutritional information for this recipe is too high due to calculating the total French dressing in when it is mostly poured off prior to serving. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 4 stalks celery (the whole head)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn, coarsely ground
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (Coleman's is very good)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups salad oil
- 1 leaf lettuce or 1 leaf mixed greens, for presentation
- Remove leaves and wash celery, leaving it whole. (Reserve the leaves for another use).
- Cover with water, add salt and lemon and simmer until tender; drain.
- Cover cooked celery with French dressing and let stand until cool (keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve, if desired).
- Drain very well, saving the vinaigrette for another salad or marinade.
- Separate and cut celery into desired size; serve very cold on a plate of leaf lettuce or mixed greens, garnished with ground peppercorns.