From 'Maw Broon's Cookbook'. The Broon's were an old Scottish comic strip that was about as popular as The Simpson's are today. The description of this recipe says that 'this is simple, but rubbing it through the sieve is hard work...get your man to do this!'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and cut up the celery.
- 2Melt the butter in a large sauce pan and saute the celery for about 20 minutes.
- 3Add the stock, grated potato and seasoning and simmer until celery is tender.
- 4Press through a sieve (or larger holed colander) and return to the pan.
- 5Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- 6Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 7Serve with a drizzle of cream and croutons.
- 8NOTE: white pepper may be used if you don't want to see the black speckles from black pepper.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Celery Soup
Serving Size: 1 (566 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.1
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 70.4 mg
- Sodium 936.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 16.2 g