Recipe by CulinaryQueen
From 'Maw Broon's Cookbook'. The Broon's were an old Scottish comic strip that was about as popular as The Simpson's are today. The description of this recipe says that 'this is simple, but rubbing it through the sieve is hard work...get your man to do this!'
- 2 heads celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 large potato, peeled and grated
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces heavy cream, to serve
- crouton, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and cut up the celery.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan and saute the celery for about 20 minutes.
- Add the stock, grated potato and seasoning and simmer until celery is tender.
- Press through a sieve (or larger holed colander) and return to the pan.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of cream and croutons.
- NOTE: white pepper may be used if you don't want to see the black speckles from black pepper.