Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
After having celery mashed potatoes in a restaurant, I had to figure out how to make them at home. :) These are wonderfully flavorful!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery (lighter colored ribs preferred)
- 1⁄3 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup chicken bouillon
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- buttermilk, as needed to desired texture
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat and sauté the celery, onion, and garlic until vegetables are soft, about 7 minutes to 10 minutes.
- Add the half and half and bouillon and simmer the mixture slowly, uncovered, over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Whir the simmered mixture in a a blender or food processor until well pureed.
- While the celery mixture is simmering, cut the potatoes into 2-inch chunks (peeled or not, it's up to you) then put them in a stockpot with lightly salted water to cover and cook until the potatoes are tender; drain well.
- Combine the celery puree with the cooked potatoes in the stockpot and, over medium heat, mash with a hand masher, adding buttermilk to achieve desired consistency for the mashed potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Makes about 6 servings.
- Note: I do not recommend using electric mixers to make mashed potatoes because they can break down the starches in the potatoes too quickly and cause them to become"gluey"- use a hand masher, it's worth the extra bit of effort.
These are a great change from regular mashed potatoes. And a great way to use up that celery! Thanks for sharing!
Excellent mashed potatoes! These potatoes have serious flavor and they are definitely company- or dinnerparty-worthy! I used a bit more onion and used light sour cream in place of buttermilk. They really don't get a green hue as you may expect. Ok, they take a little more work than the average smashed potatoes, but they are way better than average! I know I'll make these again....perhaps even for one of my holiday dinners. Thanx for sharing this recipe.
I made these for a birthday dinner and everyone enjoyed them. I followed the recipe exactly and will make it again... i may add more celery or celery root next time for even more flavor. Thanks!