Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a velvety smooth soup with a slight 'bit' to it. Serve it garnished with crisp butter fried croutons or with the pale feathery leaves from the inner stocks. From Robert Carrier's Kitchen
- 1 head celery, trimmed and the leaves reserved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions
- 1 3⁄4 pints light vegetable stock or 1 3⁄4 pints chicken stock
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces Stilton cheese
- 2 large egg yolks
- 5 ounces light cream
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
- Chop celery and add this, the celery leaves and the onions to the pan.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not coloured Pour in stock and season lightly.
- Bring to boil then simmer, uncovered for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender Allow soup to cool slightly, then blend to puree.
- Press through a sieve to removed any fibres and return to a clean pot.
- Reheat gently, but do not boil.
- Meanwhile remove and discard the cheese rind and mash the cheese to a soft paste.
- Beat together the egg yolks and cream and to obtain a smooth consistency, blend into the cheese a little at a time Stir 2 tbsp of hot soup into the cheese and cream mixture.
- Add the mixture to the pan and cook gently, stirring constantly until soup is thickened.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Adjust seasonings.