Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This delicious, vegetarian casserole is only slightly changed from Mollie Katzen's "Cauliflower Maranca" (Moosewood Cookbook). My version uses less mushrooms, and adds toasted walnuts. The flavors blend perfectly for a nice side, or even for a complete protein main dish.
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup toasted walnuts, in pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To toast the walnuts, heat them in a dry pan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are fragrant and showing some oil. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms in 2 Tbl butter over medium heat until onion begins to soften, and mushrooms give up some of their liquid -- about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and sauté a minute more.
- Separately, sauté the cauliflower in 1 Tbl butter along with the garlic, basil, salt and pepper, until the cauliflower is just tender.
- Combine the onions, cauliflower, rice, Swiss cheese and toasted walnuts and mix thoroughly.
- Place in a casserole dish and bake, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes.