Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted for ZWT-6, this recipe comes from the Usborne Children's World Cookbook that gramma gave my son when he was first learning to cook. Any strong-flavored cheese will work in this recipe, such as cheddar, but if you are looking for an authentic Dutch flavor, choose either Edam or Gouda. The servings, cook & prep time are estimates.
- 4 ounces cheese, grated
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg, fresh grated if possible
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower, rinse it well and then cut out the core. Cut the rest into four pieces.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and then add the cauliflower. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until tender. Drain and put it into an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan, over low heat.
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to make a smooth paste.
- Cook the mixture gently for a minute, then take the pan off the heat.
- Stir in the milk, a little at a time.
- Return the pan to the heat and let it cook on low for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir most of the grated cheese into the saucepan to melt. Season it with pinches of the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- When the sauce has melted, pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle the reserved cheese on top.
- Place under the broiler for a few minutes and until the top starts to bubble and brown.
My family really liked this. A simple and easy recipe to make. Very flavorful. Used Cheddar cheese for the sauce. Thank You. Made for ZWT6 Family Picks. No-Nonsense Nibblers.
Very good! This one is a keeper. I used more (1/4 tsp each) black pepper and nutmeg, and was very happy with the result. I used Gouda as suggested in the recipe description. I think the Gouda is a better choice than Cheddar to pair with the nutmeg. After removing the dish from the broiler, I sprinkled a tiny bit more black pepper and nutmeg on top for color. Made for ZWT 6 and the Whine & Cheese Gang.
Totally delicious - this is an old favourite and easy to make. I also added some cooked diced bacon to the sauce - so yummy - made for ZWT 6.