Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great vegetarian meal.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed new potatoes
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 12 -15 fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red powdered chili pepper
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 fresh serrano chili, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2- inch cubes; place in a bowl of water.
- Separate cauliflower into flowerets about the same size as the potato cubes.
- Set aside.
- Mix mustard with fenugreek in a small bowl.
- Mix ground spices together in a small bowl, and add some salt.
- Place all ingredients near the stove.
- Heat oil in a pan until very hot.
- Add whole seeds all at once, keeping face away from pan.
- Have a lid ready to cover pan, if needed.
- As mustard seeds turn gray, lower neat to medium and add ground spices.
- Cook for 1 or 2 seconds, then stir in garlic, then tomato and green chiles.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and add to pan, along with cauliflower; cook for 5 minutes, stirring to coat vegetables with spices.
- Add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup cilantro.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Check water level frequently, and add more as needed.
- Taste for salt, add lemon juice, stir well, and serve garnished with remaining cilantro.