Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are adapted from a recipe I found online - they're delicious.
Make and share this Catfish Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless catfish fillets
- water or white wine, to cover fish
- 1⁄2 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 chopped celery rib
- 1 chopped scrubbed carrot
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 1 chopped shallots or 2 chopped green onions
- fish-fry mix, of your choice
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Simmer the catfish until done in the water, wine and vegetables, drain the fish well, let cool. You may refrigerated the fish for a few hours.
- When the fish is cool, flake it and mix with the catfishs mix, flaking the fish well as you mix.
- Chill the mixture, which helps firm it slightly.
- With an ice cream scoop, form 9-10 cakes, flatten them slightly and gently coat the cakes in the fry mix. We use a corn-meal based commercial mix with a cajon flavor.
- Fry these in a few tablespoons of the oil - keep warm in oven until all are cooked.
- This mixture seems fragile but firms up after cooking for a few minutes.
- Servie with lemon wedges or sauce of choice.