Recipe by Dancer^
Catahoula Brisket in Spicy Beer & Tomato Sauce
Top Review by Alaska Marilyn
This is a wonderful recipe; I made it for a company dinner and got raves. The best part is the cooking time gives you time to do other things. I served it with mashed potatoes and that wonderful sauce over it.
- 4 -5 lbs fresh beef brisket
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 3 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, quartered lengthwise, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 (32 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 -2 ounce canned chipotle chile in adobo
- salt and pepper
- 16 ounces medium-body beer
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon toasted ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon toasted ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon crumbled achiote
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spice mix: Combine all ingredients; blend well.
- You will not need all of the mix.
- Save remainder for another use (chili, pot roast, stews, ribs, pork roast and the like).
- Season brisket with 3 tablespoons spice mix.
- Season flour with 4 tablespoons spice mix.
- Dust meat with seasoned flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add meat; sear on both sides.
- Remove to a platter.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pan.
- When hot, add onions, carrots, jalapeno and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized.
- Add Roma tomatoes; cook until they break down.
- Add canned tomatoes and chipotles.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook to a stewlike consistency.
- Add beer and stock.
- Return meat to pot, cover loosely with foil; place in oven.
- Roast for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, until tender.
- Remove brisket; set aside.
- Reduce sauce until slightly thickened, then strain out solids.
- Transfer solids to a blender; liquefy with a small amount of sauce.
- Mix blended solids back into sauce.
- Add vinegar and lime juice.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Let meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- When ready to serve, slice thinly and briefly reheat in sauce.