Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Almost fat and cholesterol free ------ From Taste of Home (October/November 1998)
Make and share this Carrot Zucchini Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup zucchini, shredded and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- Combine the first eight ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add alternately with orange juice to carrot mixture.
- Pour into pans and bake for 45 minutes or until bread tests done with a wooden pick.
- Cool for ten minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
This just didn't work for me at all. I found the orange juice flavor really overwhelmed the flavors of the zucchini and carrot. In addition, the texture did'nt seem quite right to me. I thought it seemed a little too crumbly and dry for a quick-bread, but it's probably because there is no added fat in the recipe. I gave it a few tries, toasted and not, buttered and not, but in the end I had to throw it away. I won't make this again, but thanks for posting the recipe, kburie.
I have made this recipe twice, and both times my husband and I took a loaf to work; both his colleagues and my colleagues love it! The second time I made it, however, I made a few adjustments. I used whole wheat flour and because of that added a little more applesauce (a "heaping" cup). I also increased the salt to 1 teaspoon and the pumpkin pie spice to 2 teaspoons. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It is so exciting to find healthy recipes that taste good.