Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This creamy soup is the perfect starter for anything from a tailgate party to an elegant dinner party. Pour it into thermoses to keep it hot. From an October 1988 Bon Appetit section "Great Cook/ Great Party" that featured recipes from a Homecoming Football Picnic.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 1 3⁄4 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 7 cups chicken stock or 7 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- fresh lemon juice
- fresh thyme, minced (optional garnish)
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add carrots and leeks and cook until leeks are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon thyme.
- Add stock and vermouth; simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches (or use an immersion blender) in processor or blender;return to saucepan.
- Add cream, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- (can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Stir over medium heat until warmed through.
- Garnish with minced fresh thyme and serve.