Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from Diabetes Cookbook (DK books) in conjunction with Diabetes Australia. It’s rated intermediate on the GI index.
For the cake
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 150 g whole wheat self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 500 g carrots, grated
- 30 g desiccated coconut
- 30 g pecan nuts
- 80 g sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml apple juice
- 250 ml skim milk
For the topping
- 200 g reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 5.
- Lightly grease and flour a deep 20cm (8in) tin.
- Sift flours, bicarb, and spices into a large bowl. Add carrot, coconut, nuts and sultanas. Beat eggs, add apple juice. Once well mixed, add milk; stir well to combine.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients; stir well until well mixed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until golden and firm to touch.
- Cool the cake in the tin for a few minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the topping, beat the ingredients together until smooth; spread over the cake. Decorate with extra pecans and grated carrot if desired.