Recipe by alijen
Low-fat, low-cal dessert bar from Runner's World Magazine. Kind of like carrot cake or spice cake is the best description I can give, but very good for a guilt-free treat!
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and oats.
- Set aside to soften for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the whole-wheat flour, unbleached flour, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, combine the carrots, maple syrup, egg substitute, applesauce, ginger, and vanilla.
- Stir in the oats/orange juice mixture to the carrot mixture.
- Pour over the flour mixture and combine until all the flour is moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Add the batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing.
- Store tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or a cookie tin.