Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
During her younger days, my mother collected recipes. She passed all her recipes over to me and this is one of them.
For the cake
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups coarsely shredded carrots, not packed down
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup light rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease a 10 by 4 inch angel cake pan.
- Drain pineapple and reserve syrup.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder.
- salt, and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the center and drop the eggs, oil, reserved pineapple syrup and vanilla into it.
- Beat at medium speed until blended.
- With a spoon stir in reserved pineapple, carrots and pecans.
- Turn into pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean; about 1 1/2 hours.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen edges; turn out on rack; cool completely.
- In a 2 quart saucepan over low heat, stir together constantly the sugar, corn syrup, cream and butter until boiling.
- Cool to warm stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rum and vanilla.
- Serve warm with Carrot Cake.
- Sauce my be made ahead, stored in refrigerator and reheated gently.
- Makes about 2 cups.