Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
During her younger days, my mother collected recipes. She passed all her recipes over to me and this is one of them.
For the cake
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups coarsely shredded carrots, not packed down
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup light rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease a 10 by 4 inch angel cake pan.
- Drain pineapple and reserve syrup.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder.
- salt, and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the center and drop the eggs, oil, reserved pineapple syrup and vanilla into it.
- Beat at medium speed until blended.
- With a spoon stir in reserved pineapple, carrots and pecans.
- Turn into pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean; about 1 1/2 hours.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen edges; turn out on rack; cool completely.
- In a 2 quart saucepan over low heat, stir together constantly the sugar, corn syrup, cream and butter until boiling.
- Cool to warm stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rum and vanilla.
- Serve warm with Carrot Cake.
- Sauce my be made ahead, stored in refrigerator and reheated gently.
- Makes about 2 cups.