Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is so easy, it uses strained baby carrots instead of grated carrots,and is more moist than any other recipe I've tried..............over many years.
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsifted flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 (4 1/2 ounce) jarsstrained carrot baby food
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons softened margarine
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan (I use a sheetcake pan, and it bakes a little faster).
- In a large bowl, beat eggs at medium speed.
- Add flour, wheat germ, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt,oil and carrots.
- Beat at low speed to combine, then at high speed to mix well.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- (if using sheet pan, the time may be a bit shorter) Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool and then frost.
I was very impressed with this cake. I believe the strained carrots is the secret to make this incredibly moist. We all loved this perfect dessert. Great with coffee or tea. Thanks for sharing this winner, donnie27.
This is a delicious and moist cake! Using baby food is so much easier than grating carrots. I cut the sugar down to 1 1/2 cups and then reduced the salt to 1/2 teaspoon because I was afraid it would be overwhelming with less sugar. It worked out fine. It's sweet enough for our preferences, but others will probably prefer the full 2 cups. DH does not care for frosting, so I served this warm with a vanilla sauce. Wonderful! Truthfully, it doesn't need frosting or sauce - it's delicious alone.