Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This healthier version comes from Bob's Red Mill and uses whole wheat pastry flour. There's a simple frosting recipe given in the last step that doesn't give the powdered sugar amount. Just keep adding it in until it is the texture you like, or you can use your favorite frosting recipe instead!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x9 inch pan.
- Mix together sugars, oil, eggs, salt and cinnamon.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour into pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean (about 40 minutes).
- While you are waiting for the cake to cool; mix together this simple icing: 3 Tablespoons softened margarine, 3 Tablespoons softened cream cheese, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and powdered sugar. Frost the cake after it has cooled.