Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Many years ago a certain gas station used to give out recipe booklets entitled "Traditional Recipes of Atlantic Canada". This carrot cake recipe was in it. To me it is the perfect carrot cake. May take a bit extra time to prepare but the end results are well worth your efforts.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups carrots, finely grated
- 1 cup chopped nuts or 1 cup raisins (I use nuts or 1/2 cup of each)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 quart tube pan.
- Grate carrots.
- Drain pineapple.
- Sift into large bowl, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, allspice and cinnamon.
- Add sugar and oil to dry ingredients and mix until creamy.
- Add eggs and mix until combined.
- Add carrots, pineapple, nuts or raisins and mix well.
- Bake in 2 quart tube pan for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- This cake will be quite moist.
- Ice with cream cheese frosting and top with walnuts.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Cream the cream cheese and butter with mixer or food processor.
- Add sifted icing sugar and vanilla and continue to cream until light and fluffy.
- Add coconut and mix until well combined.
- Spread over cake and sprinkle chopped walnuts over top.
Made this today and its very very good.MMMMMMMMm
Nova Scotia Cook, I prepared this cake last night and had a piece as part of my breakfast this morning (don't tell my Mom). It's so good and I enjoyed every bite. I used plain yogurt instead of pineapple, and lightened the recipe by using 2/3 c oil with enough yogurt to make up the difference and half splenda for the sugar. The spices are right on, the texture is moist, and I want another piece. Thanks for posting.