Recipe by clu
wonderful soup, low fat, easy and cheap. Good for heating up on those cold winter nights, or as I do cook double in advance, freeze in single portions then take to work for lunch.
- 1⁄2 lb red lentil
- 2 pints chicken stock or 2 pints vegetable stock or 2 pints water
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan set over high heat, bring lentils and stock/water to a boil.
- Skim off froth.
- Stir in chopped onion, garlic, seasonings and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered.
- Dice carrots and red pepper. Stir into soup.
- Continue simmering, covered, until carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Lentils in soup will need a total of about 20 minutes to cook.
- Stir in red onion, coriander, lemon juice and pepper.
- Remove bay leaf. Liquidise if required.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, up to 3 days or freeze.