Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is a favorite of my mom's cousin. She submitted this for our Grandmother's recipe book that I just recently updated.
- 3 -4 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) bag dry onion soup mix
- 1 large fresh onion (chopped)
- 8 -10 carrots (cleaned, pealed, cut into 3-4 pieces)
- 8 idaho potatoes (pealed, cut into chunks)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt & pepper
- Season both sides with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Flour the meat thoroughly using a mallet to pound the flour into the meat.
- Brown the meat in a frying pan.
- Put the meat in a cooking bag.
- Add water along the side of the beef-(around 2 cups depending on the size of the beef).
- Add 2 tablespoons flour to the water.
- Add ½ bag of dry onion soup mix to the top of the meat.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Cook in oven for 2-2½ hours @350 degrees.
- Open bag, add carrots and potatoes.
- Then add the rest of the dried onion soup mix.
- Close bag and cook for 1-1½ hours or until done.
- Drain some of the liquid into a small pot, and then thicken the liquid with a mixture of corn starch and water.
- Open the bag and cut the meat into serving portions.
- Serve the meat, carrots and potatoes on a plate and top with the meat gravy.
- NOTE: Use the same recipe to cook Short Ribs of Beef.