Recipe by Harley Seashell Princess
Depending on where in the Carolinas you hail from, some swear by the authenticity of this sauce! It's different from your typical tomato based bbq sauce and it's quite spicy! We like it on pork!
- 1 1⁄2 cups prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup beer (save some for enjoying with your meal!)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, soft
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer.
- *Do not boil otherwise the sugar will scorch!
- *Continue to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to simmer for an additional 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour into an air-tight jar and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend.