Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Remember the funnel cakes the the vendor at the fair used to make? Well here is a recipe for them and you'll never have to wait for the fair again.
- 5 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour (heaping)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 10 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a 8 to 10 inch fry pan with oil (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pan full of oil) and heat to frying temperature.
- Combine the ingredients in order given.
- Get a regular cooking funnel. Put your finger over the funnel spout; fill the funnel with the batter.
- Start letting the batter funnel out in a criss-cross until all batter in funnel is gone. Batter will come together and cook until golden brown in about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. remove and top with what you want (when cooking make sure you make the batter cover the whole bottom of the pan--just keep criss-crossing until all holes are filled in).
- Repeat with remaining batter. Makes 8 to 10 large cakes.
- Toppers for the cakes after cooking: Dust with powdered sugar or powdered sugar mixed with cinnamon. The carnival also uses canned pie filling such as apple or any flavor you want.