Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
There are a lot of sweet potato salad recipes. Some have white and sweet potatoes. This is a combination of sweet potatoes, corn and red onion. I hope you will find it different. I hope you will enjoy it. There are differences between sweet potatoes and yams;you may choose and you may interchange them in this salad. Microwave ovens all do not "cook" the same, and some have a setting for potatoes. Read your manual if in doubt. Feel free to add in any of your favorite things; bacon bits, sunflower seeds,shredded cheese just things you like.
- 2 large sweet potatoes or 2 large yams
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn, well drained
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
For the dressing
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard, Dijon is best
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cucumber, pieces* peeled and 1/2-inch diced
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped peanuts**
- Steam the sweet potatoes in the microwave until cooked, but still slightly firm. You can steam them in the shell, wrapped in plastic wrap). Let cool and then peel and cube into 3/4-inch pieces.Add the corn and onion.
- For the dressing:.
- Mix the lime juice, mustard, brown sugar, garlic ginger, and olive oil.
- Toss the veretables in the dressing. Salt and pepper,to taste.
- Just before serving, add the cucumber and peanuts, if using.