1 hr 20 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
They had me with the cardamom! Knew I had to keep this recipe forwarded by a friend. Too darned hot to enjoy it now but fall is just around the hot sticky humid corner so I am stashing this one for fall use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 lbs carrots, grated coarsely (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
For the Frosting
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange the rack in the middle.
- 2Coat two 8-inch cake pans with butter and flour, and tap out any excess flour. Set aside.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, and salt in a large bowl, and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps. Set aside.
- 4Combine eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla in a large bowl, and whisk until eggs are broken up and mixture is thoroughly combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in carrots and walnuts until evenly mixed.
- 5Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- 6Remove cakes from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool, about 15 minutes. Run a knife around the perimeter of each, and turn cakes out onto the rack to cool completely.
- 7For the Frosting:.
- 8Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, and beat at low speed until sugar is incorporated.
- 9Increase speed to medium high and beat until frosting is light and whipped, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 10For the Assembly:.
- 11To frost, place a cake layer on an 8-inch cardboard round, a tart-pan bottom, or a cake plate. Evenly spread about 1/3 of the frosting over the top of the layer. Stack the second layer, and evenly spread another 1/3 of the frosting over the top and sides of the whole cake. (Don’t worry about looks at this point—this is just a crumb layer, and it will be covered up later.)
- 12Place in the refrigerator until frosting is set up and slightly hard, about 15 minutes.
- 13Remove from the refrigerator and spread remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake, ensuring it’s as even as possible. Serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cardamom Spiced Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 921.5
- Calories from Fat 502
- Total Fat 55.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 159.7 mg
- Sodium 675.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 57.1 g
- Protein 14.5 g