Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
"Bite-sized hors d'oeuvres combine cream cheese spread, whole grain crackers and a cranberry topping for a yummy salty and sweet treat." This is not a TAT recipe. Just posting so I don't lose track of it. Found on myrecipes.com. You can make the Caramelized Onion-Cranberry Compote a day ahead and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 16 whole wheat crackers
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions, and sauté 15 to 18 minutes or until golden and tender. Stir in vinegar and remaining ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 4 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons.
- Caramelized Onion-Cranberry-Cream Cheese Bites: Spread 16 whole grain crackers each with 1 1/2 teaspoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese; top each with 1 tablespoons Caramelized Onion-Cranberry Compote. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley leaves.
Man oh man this is addictive stuff! Loved it! Cranberries make it unique. I made a half batch. Our dinner guests gave it a thumbs up too. I did make the first aspect ahead. I generally buy a buttery cracker like Ritz so that is what you see in pic but the whole wheat would be a better choice as then it would be less sweet. Can see this in a sandwich also. Thanks kittycatmom for sharing.
This is so funny! I had to make some caramelized onions and I had some leftover from another recipe. So I checked around to find a recipe that I could make using them and BINGO I found this. They're great! Easy to make (especially when I already had part of it! lol I had the cranberries in the freezer (who doesn't)? Seriously, these are delicious! Thanks KKM!