Little Grilled Mushroom Bites
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 12 ounces mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, chopped, optional (optional) or 1 teaspoon dried herbs (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb (made from any high-quality white or whole grain bread)
- 1⁄4 cup cheese, grated (such as Parmesan or provolone)
- 2 2 tablespoons wine (your choice) or 2 tablespoons stock
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill with a vegetable grill in place.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and hollow out the caps (reserve stems and trimmings).
- Brush both sides of mushroom caps with olive and sprinkle inside of caps with salt and pepper.
- Grill mushrooms, hollow side down, until partially cooked (about 5 minutes) and set aside.
- Combine reserved mushroom stems and trimmings with remaining olive oil and garlic and toss to coat well.
- Grill, tossing frequently, until lightly cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Finely chop the mushroom pieces and garlic, either by hand or with a food processor.
- Combine in medium-sized bowl with the breadcrumbs, cheese, sherry and herbs (if using).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stuff into the mushroom caps, mounding up the filling and pressing with your fingers to pack tightly.
- Grill stuffed mushrooms, stuffing side up, until the mushrooms are completely cooked and the cheese is melted (about 10 minutes).
- Serve hot or warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!