Cook1 hr 30 mins
Low GI, very tasty. This recipe makes two 11-inch pizzas.
Make and share this Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza recipe from Food.com.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose stone ground whole wheat flour
- 7.08 g sachet dried yeast
- 4.92 ml salt
Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 566.99 g red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 59.16 ml picked thyme leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 127.57 g goat cheese, crumbled
- To make the pizza crust, place the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Add 3/4 cup lukewarm water and use a flat-bladed knife to mix until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Place in a light oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour.
- To make the caramelized onions, heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add the onion, thyme and garlic, and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 23-30 minutes, or until the onions are very soft. Add the sugar and vinegar, and increase the heat to high. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the onions start to caramelize. Set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Lightly grease two bake proof trays.
- Use your fist to pound the dough. Divide into two. Roll both portions and place on two bake proof trays.
- Spread the caramelized onions over both of the dough bases and sprinkle over the goat cheese.
- Bake the pizzas, turning the trays halfway through cooking for 15-20 minute, or until the top are golden and the bases are crisp.
Delicious! I used dry thyme leaves rather than fresh. I put this on low carb flatbread to cut back on starch. Added chopped dried cherries along with the goat cheese and cooked under the broiler until the cheese was melted. Wonderful dinner. I'll try this with baby spinach next time as well. Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely delicious! Used a pita to make an individual serving. Subbed ground thyme for the leaves. I love caramelized onions on a pizza and the goat cheese seem to balance perfectly with them and the balsamic coating.
Delicious! We used a different pizza dough and grilled this pizza on the bbq - it was fabulous. I might add some fresh arugula to it next time.